NABC Recycled Rides® for Vehicle Donors
NABC Recycled Rides® is very grateful to our vehicle donors who make this program possible. We work with a number of organizations to source vehicles for the program including:
- Insurance total loss or theft recovery vehicles — many major insurers are committed to helping with NABC Recycled Rides® program
- Car rental companies
- Collision repair customers, community members and private individuals
- Abandoned vehicles on repair shop lots
- Automotive recyclers or tow yards
- Outright purchase
What Are the Criteria for the Ideal NABC Recycled Rides® Vehicle?
The most common type of donated vehicle is a five-passenger sedan or SUV. Larger vehicles can be found, but less frequently. Vehicle criteria include:
- Automatic transmission
- Preferably no more than eight years old
- Should be between $18,000 to $20,000 in value once completed, unless the vehicle being donated to a charitable organization rather an individual or family
- No major structural damage (ie: frame rails) or airbag deployment
- No flood damage
- Avoid luxury and specialty vehicles (e.g. Cadillacs, Corvettes)
- Vehicle mileage less than 100,000 (but could be higher if in great condition)
- No mechanical damage (unless there is a mechanical shop that is donating labor)
- Valid title – clear title preferred but rebuilt or salvage titles are acceptable
- Pre-scanning vehicle will verify no hidden computer or ADAS issues – NABC® member asTech offers free scanning services on asTech equipment for NABC® members
- Recovered thefts make ideal vehicles
Please note: Some states require collision shops to have a Rebuilder’s License to repair vehicles with a salvage title. Four states that are known to have this requirement are: Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois and Rhode Island.
Accepting the Vehicle
Collision repair facilities have the right of refusal for any vehicle offered to them even if it is already at their shop. Once again, pre-scanning when the vehicle arrives is helpful to determine if it is a suitable vehicle. As a NABC® member, AsTech provides free scanning services for NABC Recycled Rides® projects. Also, have the vehicle inspected mechanically before you accept it and begin work.
For additional information, please contact Dale Ross, NABC Recycled Rides® Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click below to get started Changing and Saving Lives Every Day in your community.